Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cookie - Holiday Fruit Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 cup thick sour milk
3/4 cup broken pecans and 36 pecan halves
3/4 cup candied cherries cut in half
3/4 cup dates, cut up

Cream shortening  and sugar well.  Add well beaten egg.  Sift flour once before measuring.  Add salt and baking soda .  With mixer running, add the flour mixture alternation with sour milk.  Add nuts and fruit with last addition of flour.  Drop by teaspoonful onto a greased cookie sheet and place a pecan half on each.

Bake 10 - 13 minutes in a moderate 400 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment