Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Dessert - Open Faced Raisin Pie

1 cup raisins
3 egg yolks
1 cup thick sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Simmer raisins in a very little water until soft and plump.  Cool.  Beat egg yolks well.  Stir in sour cream and vanilla.  Mix sugar, flour and nutmeg together.  Combine both mixtures and stir in raisins and cook carefully over medium heat until thick.  Pour into an 8 or 9" baked pie shell.

Meringue
3 egg whites
6 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp vanilla

Beat whites to soft peaks.  Add sugar slowly and beat to stiff peaks.  Spread on pie

Brown in oven at 300 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment