Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Dessert - Apple Cream Pie

4 cups sliced tart apples
1 cup sweet cream (or Half & Half)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg (beaten)
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp soft butter
1 cup flour
2 heaping Tbsp shortening
3 Tbsp water
Dash of salt

Prepare crust with flour, water, shortening and salt.

Mix cream, sugar, egg, 3 Tbsp flour, vanilla, nutmeg together.  Place apples in unbaked pie shell.  Pour cream mixture over apples.

Mix brown sugar, 2 Tbsp flour, and soft butter together.  Place over top of apples.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment