Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cookie - Cashew Drop Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup salted cashew nuts (broken)

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add egg and vanilla.  Sift together dry ingredients.  Add to creamed mixture, alternating with sour cream.  Stir in nuts.

Drop by teaspoonful 2" apart on a cookie sheet.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes.  Frost with butter icing. Top with half cashew.

No comments:

Post a Comment