Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cookie - Ginger Drop Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup light molasses
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves (ground)
Pecan halves

Cream shortening and sugars.  Add egg and beat.  Add molasses and vinegar.  Sift remaining ingredients and stir into creamed mixture.  Drop by teaspoonful on a greased baking sheet.  Top with a pecan half.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes.  Check frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment