Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Cookie - Danish Pebbernodder

1 1/2 cups lard
1 cup molasses (combine and bring to a boil)

Cool and add:
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs

Sift:
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Add cardamom and anise

When mixed, chill a little while; take a little chunk of dough and roll in a long thin roll the size of your ring finger.  Lay it on a cookie sheet to chill it.  Cut about 1/4" thick cut several rolls at once.  Scatter on a cookie sheet so they won't touch each other.  Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment