Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cookie - Oatmeal Crispies

Thoroughly cream
   1 cup shortening
   1 cup brown sugar
   1 cup white sugar
Add 2 eggs (beaten)
   1 tsp vanilla and beat well
   1 1/2 cup flour sifted with 1 tsp salt
   1 tsp baking soda
   3 cups quick oatmeal
   1/2 cup nuts

Form into a long roll and chill.  Slice 1/4" thick and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment