Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Meat - Norwegian Meat Balls

My grandma was of Norwegian descent and had many Norwegian recipes.

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 lb pork sausage
2/3 cup cracker crumbs
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg or ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 onion, chopped fine
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sage

Grind together beef and sausage three times.  Mix together with remaining ingredients thoroughly.  Shape in 15 - 20 balls.  Brown in butter until browned well.  Cover and cook on low until done.  Add 3 cups water and 3 beef bouillon cubes and simmer 20 minutes.  Mix 2 Tbsp corn starch to 1 cup water with whisk.  Add to cooking meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment