Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wine - Beet Wine

8 lbs peeled beets
1 lb raisins
6 lbs sugar
1/2 dozen oranges (sliced)
1 cake fresh yeast

Boil 8 lbs of peeled beets.  Add 3 quarts of water.  Boil until beets are done.  Add enough water to make 6 quarts.  Put in a crock.

Add raisins, sugar orange slices, and yeast.  Mix and stir daily for 7 or 8 days or until mixture is done working.

Strain and bottle.  Leave caps loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment