Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Meat - Sausage

For every 55 lbs of meat . . .

3/4 of the 55 lbs should be pork
1/4 of the 55 lbs should be beef
2 measuring cups of fine salt (yikes!)
2/3 cup ground pepper
3 handfuls whole peppers
3 handfuls mustard seed
Garlic to suit taste
1 level tsp powdered garlic
1/2 tsp powdered salt peter

Grind all ingredients together and fill sausage casing.

This is one of those recipes that I wish Grandma had finished.  I'm afraid I don't know the rest of the details.  I guess I'll try Google when I plan to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment