Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pickles - Chunk Pickles

Soak 7 lbs of whole pickles in strong brine (1 cup salt and 5 cups of water) for 48 hours.  Then soak them in fresh water for 48 hours.  Cut them in chunks and simmer for 2 hours in weak vinegar (1 cup water and 1 cup vinegar) enough to cover and to which a piece of alum has been added.  (I use white vinegar for all pickling.)

Drain.  Place in jars and pour the following boiled syrup over pickles.

3 pints vinegar
3 lbs sugar
1 oz cloves, 1 oz cinnamon stick, and 1 oz celery seed (tied in a spice bag)

Reheat syrup for 4 mornings and each time cover the pickles with the boiling syrup.  On the fourth morning, seal the jars after pouring the hot solution over the pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment