Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dessert - Cranberry Fruit Compote

1 can (1 lb 14 oz)  peach halves
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
dash salt
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
2 3" sticks of cinnamon
5 whole cloves
1/4 tsp grated orange rind

Drain peaches, reserving 1/4 cup syrup.  Combine cornstarch, sugar and salt in a saucepan.  Stir in cranberry juice, reserved syrup, spices and orange rind.  Cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.  Remove spices and pour over peaches.  Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment