Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

You Never Know What You'll Find In Grandma's Recipe Book - White Snow

I have to admit, this recipe was somewhat confusing.  I'm not sure of its true purpose.  It's called White Snow, and it says you spread it on a tree.  The ingredients lead me to believe that it will be very frothy, but can it possibly remain on a tree such as a Christmas Tree throughout the holiday season?  I would love to hear from anyone familiar with this recipe.

1 cup Shina Dish (I googled this - it was dish soap flakes sold from the 1920s to the 1950s)
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup like warm water

Beat with rotary egg beater until thick and frothy.  Spread on tree.

Hmmmmm???

No comments:

Post a Comment