Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pickles - Lime Pickles

7 lbs cucumbers (4 - 5" long) sliced 1/4" thick

Combine 2 gallons of water and 2 cups dehydrated lime.  Pour over sliced cucumbers and let stand 24 hours, stirring every few hours.

Wash off lime in clear water.  Let cucumbers stand in clear water for 3 hours.  Drain

Combine 2 quarts vinegar
1 cup water
4 1/2 lbs sugar (8 cups)
1 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp mixed pickling spice
1 tsp celery seed
1 Tbsp salt

Pour cold mixture over drained cucumbers and let stand overnight.

The next morning, put on the stove and simmer for 35 minutes.  Pack into quart jars while hot and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment