Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Pickles - End of the Garden Relish

4 cups minced onion
4 cups ground cabbage (one medium head)
4 cups ground green tomatoes (about 10)
12 ground green peppers
6 ground sweet red peppers
1/2 cup salt

Use coarse blade to grind the vegetables.  Sprinkle with salt and let stand overnight.  Drain.  Rinse well and drain again.

6 cups sugar
2 Tbsp mustard seed
1 Tbsp  celery seed
1 1/2 tsp Turmeric
4 cups vinegar
2 cups water

Combine sugar, spices, vinegar, and water.  Pour over vegetables.  Heat slowly to boiling and simmer three minutes.  Pour in jars and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment