Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bread - Johnny Cake

1 1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (or sour milk)
2 eggs
3 Tbsp butter


Put all dry ingredients into a bowl.  Add buttermilk and butter and mix only enough to moisten well.  Pour into greased pan and bake 24 - 30 mins in 400 degree oven.

Tip:  If buttermilk is not available, add 2 Tbsp of vinegar to regular milk.  Stir and allow to sit for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment