Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pickles - Ripe Cucumber Pickles

5 lbs ripe cucumbers
1 cup salt
1 gallon water

Combine salt and water.  Pour over cucumbers and let stand overnight.  Drain.

Cook cucumbers covered with clear water with the following added:

1 cup vinegar
1 tsp alum

Cook until water is clear.

Make a syrup of
5 cups sugar
4 cups vinegar
Stick cinnamon
Cassia buds
Allspice

Bring all to a boil.  Add the pickles and bring to a boil again.

Pack in jars and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment