Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Sauce - Relish

2 quarts chopped green tomatoes
1 quart ripe tomatoes
3 bunches of celery
3 large onions
4 ripe peppers
3 green peppers
1 head cabbage (chopped fine)
2 cups ripe cucumbers (chopped fine)
1/2 cup salt

Combine all ingredients except the celery and ripe tomatoes.  Let stand overnight.  Drain the following morning.

Boil 3 pints of vinegar, 2 lbs brown sugar, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp pepper.  Boil until clear.

Pour over veggie mixture that includes celery and ripe tomatoes.  Can and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment