Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Cookie - Date Cookies

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
3 eggs
1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Filling:
2 cups dates (cut up)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
Juice and grated rind of one orange

Cook dates, sugar, and water until thick; add juice and rind of orange.  Cool.

Cream sugar and butter.  Add eggs, baking soda, flour, vanilla and salt.  Drop from teaspoon, make well in center.  Fill with 1 tsp of date mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment