Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Dessert - Apple Crisp

My grandma kept a little notebook with most of her recipes - these were the ones she used most often.  I am moving into the notebook tonight.  How appropriate that it begins with Apple Crisp.  Who doesn't like apple crisp?

Apples (as many as needed for sized pan used)
3/4  cup sugar
Cinnamon to taste
1 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
Pinch of salt

Mix apples, 3/4 cups sugar and cinnamon.  Place in baking pan.

Mix flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, butter and salt.  Sprinkle over apples.  Bake at 325 degrees 35 - 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment