Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Pickles - Cherry Pickles

Medium sized dill cucumbers to fill about a three-gallon jar, cherry leaves, and a handful of caraway seeds

Make a brine of 1 cup of salt to five quarts of water, boiled and cooled.  Pack cucumbers in quart jars; one layer of cukes, one layer of cherry leaves, until full.  Sprinkle the caraway seeds as you pack.   Pour cold brine over and weight down to keep all under brine.  Stand in cool place two weeks.

Rinse and wipe the pickles dry. Cut into 1" pieces.  Make a pickling syrup of two cups sugar, 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 tsp mixed spices. Heat to boiling hot.  Pour over the cucumbers in jars.  Heat and seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment