Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Soup - Chili

This recipe makes me realize how many more specialty and prepared foods we have available that make our lives so much easier than our grandmothers' lives.  This version of chili doesn't sound like it would taste much like our chili today.

3 Tbsp fat
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 Tbsp green pepper (chopped)
1 1/2 cups water
1 can of tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 can kidney beans

Add the beans last and simmer a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment