Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kolaches

4 cups flour
2 eggs beaten
1 cup scaled milk (cooled)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening

1 pkg yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water and 1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla


Mix all well adding flour to stiffen.  Let rise to double (30 - 40 minutes).  Divide and but into small pieces about the size of a walnut.  Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet to rise.  Coat with melted butter.  Make an impression.  Use prune or apricot filling.

Bake at 400 degrees for 12 - 13 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment