Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Cake - Coffee Cake

2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
2 pkgs yeast
1 'Tbsp salt
2 cups flour

Mix well.

Add 2 cups flour and beat 2 minutes on slow.

add 1/3 cup shortening
2 eggs and beat 1 minute

Add last 2 1/2 cups flour gradually by hand and kneed.

Let rest 20 minutes (or refrigerate)

Filling:
1/2 sup sugar
2 tsp instant coffee
4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter softened - mix with a fork
2/3 cups toasted almonds

Divide dough and roll into 10 x 15".  Spread filling and roll.  Cut into circles 1/2".  Cut into circles 1/2" and pur into pan to rise.  Bake at 350 degrees.  Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment