Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bars - Evelyn's Bars

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup raisins
1 cup water

Bring to boil to make raisins soft.

Cool and add . . .

1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves or nutmeg
1 1/2 cup flour
pinch of salt
nuts, if desired

Frosting
Powdered sugar
A little hot milk and butter
1 tsp vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment