Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Boston Cream Pie

This is always a favorite!  I don't know anyone who doesn't like Boston Cream Pie.

1 round yellow cake layer
1 cup milk
1 (3.4 oz) package of Vanilla Instant Pudding
1 1/2 cups of whipped topping
1 square baking chocolate
1 Tbsp butter
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp cold milk

Cut cake into two layers.  Beat 1 cup of milk with the pudding mix for two minutes.  Add the whipped topping.  Stir to combine and let sit for five minutes.  Place bottom cake layer on a serving dish (cake stand, if you have one).  Spread the pudding mixture over the top of that layer.  Place the top layer on top of the pudding mixture.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler over boiling water.  Add the sugar and 2 Tbsp milk and mix well.

Spread over the cake and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.  Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment