Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

On The Grill - Low & Slow Ribs

These ribs are delicious.  The recipe combines an interesting mix of spices.  Grandma had a knack for creating great flavor in her dishes.  These ribs cook in a low oven for about 3 hours and then are finished on the grill.  You'll get the best of both worlds -- really tender ribs with that grill char.  Mmmm good!

1 Tbsp Lawry's seasoned salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (no, that's not a typo)
4 lbs of ribs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce - I like Jack Daniels Brown Sugar & Honey

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.  I use my turkey roasting pan and rack for this recipe.

Combine all of the spices and mix well.  Rub all over the ribs.  Place the spiced ribs on the roasting rack in your pan.  Pour the water into the pan and cover with aluminum foil.  Bake for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until ribs are very tender.

Remove from the oven and allow to sit for about 30 minutes.  Brush the ribs with the BBQ sauce.  Place on pre-heated grill and grill for about 5 minutes.  Turn and brush with remaining sauce.

Cut into sections and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment