Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Straight From The Garden Summer Slaw

I've mentioned time and time again that so many of Grandma's dishes were prepared with produce straight from the garden.  This is another timeless favorite.

1/3 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 small head green cabbage (shredded)
1/2 small head red cabbage (shredded)
4 medium carrots (shredded)
1 small red onion (minced)
1 large Granny Smith apple

Whisk together the vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper until blended.  Add the green and red cabbage, carrots and onion.  Toss well.  Cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours).

Core the Granny Smith apple and cut into thin strips.  Add to coleslaw just before serving and stir/toss well.

No comments:

Post a Comment