Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blueberry-Orange Bread

I have to admit, this isn't a recipe I've baked myself.  It sounds a bit unusual, but I thought I'd share it here and give it a try one day soon.  If you bake it yourself, be sure to share your comments here.  This comes from a newspaper clipping with a date of November 1948.

3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp grated orange peel
2/3 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh blueberries

In bowl, stir together dry ingredients.  Beat together eggs, melted butter, milk, orange peel, and orange juice.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in berries.

Bake in greased 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 60 - 70 minutes).  Remove from pan.  Cool.  Wrap in foil and store overnight before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment