Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fruit Cocktail Cake

If you're looking for a recipe to start your child baking in the kitchen, this is it.  It's very easy and requires very little attention.

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (15 oz) fruit cocktail -- do not drain
1 egg

Stir ingredients together.  Mix well.  Pour into a 9 x 9" pan.  Top with 1/2 cup of brown sugar sprinkled evenly over the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Serve this topped with Cool Whip.  It's simple and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment