Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Chicken Hash with Apricots

8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lbs)
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 lb red potatoes (small B-size), unpeeled
1 large red pepper
3 Tbsp apricot jam
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 green onions, thinly sliced

Okay, before we get started, I've modified this recipe to make it far more to my liking.  I haven't changed it enough to require a new name.

I use 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I like white meat far more than dark meat).
I replace the red pepper with fresh or canned apricots and a white onion.
The rest remains the same.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine chicken and soy sauce; let stand.  Cut potatoes and red pepper into 1/2" pieces.  In a small bowl, mix jam and lemon juice until well blended.

Spread the chicken on foil-lined pan; brush with the jam mixture.  roast 15 - 17 minutes or until meat is no longer pink inside.

While chicken roasts, place the potatoes in a deep fryer and fry for about 5 minutes until crispy.  Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towel.  Heat 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the red pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring.  (In my version, you'll replace the pepper with the onion and apricots.) Stir in deep fried potatoes and most of the green onions.  Add 1/4 tsp of salt to season.  Cook 5 - 7 minutes or until lightly browned.

Spoon the potato mixture onto a plate and top with the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment