Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce

2 cups stale bread cubes (French bread is best)
4 cups milk, scalded
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs (slightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla

For Whiskey Sauce

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp butter
1 or 2 jiggers bourbon whiskey

Soak bread in milk for 5 minutes.  Add sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Pour into 1 1/2 quart baking dish.  Bake in pan of hot water for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

To make whiskey sauce, cook first three  ingredients until dissolved.  Remove from heat and add whiskey.  Serve over bread pudding.  Best served warm.

Serves: 4 - 5

No comments:

Post a Comment