Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Broccoli with Garlic

Grandma had lots of simple, but really delicious recipes.  She even made broccoli taste good when we were kids.  That's almost unheard of . . .

1 lb broccoli
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper

Wash and cut the broccoli into florets.  Steam for five minutes in a saucepan over high heat.  (I use my Pampered Chef steamer for this - it fits perfectly into the bottom of my 4-quart saucepan.)  Do not overcook - broccoli should be tender crisp.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Slice the garlic into thin slices.  Cook the garlic in the oil for about 3 minutes - it should start to brown.  Remove the garlic from the oil.

Drain the steamed broccoli well.  Add the broccoli to the skillet and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.  Transfer to a serving  bowl.  Sprinkle with the garlic and season to taste with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment