Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Double Orange Carrots

4 cups water
10 medium carrots (peeled and sliced diagonally)
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup orange juice
4 Tbsp butter

In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.  Add carrots and cook until just tender.  Drain, set aside and cover to keep warm.  

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, ginger and orange juice.  Stir constantly until mixture thickens.  Raise heat and boil 1 minute longer.  Stir in butter; pour over hot carrots, toss thoroughly and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment