Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Cake - Spice Cake

1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp soda
1 cup raisins
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp each cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger

Those are all of the details Grandma left in her recipe book.

I would cream the butter and sugar and then mix the rest of the ingredients in one at a time while beating the mixture on low.

Pour into a square baking pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Time to give this one a try and see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment