Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Cake -Burnt Sugar Cake

Syrup:
1/2 cup sugar, melted in a small frying pan.  Keep stirring until dark brown, and then add 1/2 cup boiling water and cook until thick syrup.

Cake:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar creamed with
2 egg yolks (beaten)
1 cup cold water
2 cups flour
3 tsp of the syrup
1 tsp vanilla, beat and then add another 1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder

Beat carefully, then fold in the beaten egg whites.  Bake in a loaf pan in a 350 degree oven.

Frosting:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Dissolve and boil until it spins a hair.  Add 2 tsp syrup and pour over the beaten whites of an egg.  Beat until cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment