Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grandma's Mashed Potatoes

4 lbs potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper (to taste)
2 cups heavy cream
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp chopped chives

Put potatoes into a large pot, add bay leaf, 2 Tbs salt, and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.  Drain them well and remove the bay leaf.  Heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan.  Mash the potatoes with a masher.  Add the hot cream and season with salt and pepper.  Stir in chives before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment