Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Potato Salad - Routine or Memorable

Grandma had a Basic Potato Salad recipe, but I've run across a few of her notes that take the basic recipe and make it special.

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/4 cup Miracle Whip, 1 Tbsp yellow mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.  Toss with 2 lbs of boiled potatoes and allow to cool.

Good BET -- add bacon bits, chopped hard cooked eggs and tomatoes.

Island -- add fresh pineapple, cashews, and lemon zest.

Garden Crunch -- add cucumber, carrots, pickle relish.

Orchard -- add apple slices, ham, and grated smoked cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment