Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

Grandma has many, many bread and roll recipes, most of which require lots of time and energy to make.  This one is surprisingly easy.  No yeast, no kneading, no rolling, no rising . . . my kind of bread recipe.

4 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg (lightly beaten)
2 cps buttermilk
1/4 cup melted butter

Combine all dry ingredients.  Whisk together egg and buttermilk.  Add all at once to the dry ingredients.  Stir in the melted butter.  Stir to combine.

Scoop the dough into a greased 9 x 5" load pan.  Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 35 - 45 minutes.  If top begins to brown too much, cover with aluminum foil.  Test for doneness with a toothpick in the center.  If it comes out clean, the bread is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment