Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

4 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup milk
4 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt

Pierce potatoes in several place with a fork; place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.  Transfer hot potatoes to cutting board to cool slightly.  Combine milk, butter and salt in a saucepan and heat over medium low heat until hot.  Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; carefully scoop flesh into bowl.  Add milk and butter mixture and mash until smooth.

Okay, this may be cheating, because it's not on Grandma's recipe card . . . but I like my sweet potatoes with a little more "sweet".  I add 1/2 tsp of Allspice and 3/4 cup of brown sugar.  Mmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment