Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Grandma's Night Before French Toast

Holiday meals at Grandma's house were always special.  Her love was always there in her food.  As a youngster, I didn't understand that, but it's very clear to me now.  I only hope I can become close to the cook she was.  This recipe was a family favorite, and I think Grandma liked it because it could be prepared the night before.

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (melted)
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tart apples (I like Granny Smith) peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup raisins (I like to substitute Craisins (dried cranberries))
1 loaf Italian or French bread, cut into 1" slices
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Mix brown sugar, butter and 1 tsp of the cinnamon in 13 x 9" baking dish.  Add apples and cranberries; stir to coat well.  Spread evenly in bottom of baking dish.  Arrange slices of bread on top.

Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining 2 tsp cinnamon until well blended.  Pour mixture over bread, soaking bread completely.  Cover with foil.  Refrigerate 4 hours or up to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake, covered for 45 minutes.  Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  For an eye-catching presentation, loosen edges with small knife.  Invert onto large serving platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment