Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Krum Kake - A Taste of My Norwegian Heritage


My grandma came from a Norwegian background, while the rest of my grandparents were of German/Austrian decent.  She made lots of delightful desserts during my childhood, but this was one of my favorites.  She filled them with many different fillings, but whipped cream was probably my favorite.

4 eggs beaten
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 cups cream (thick and sweet)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange extract

Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth.  Pour 1/2 cup of mixture onto Krumkake iron for 15 seconds and then remove and roll.  If your iron does not seem hot enough leave for a few seconds more.  You want them to brown, but not crisp beyond the point you can roll. 


No comments:

Post a Comment