Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Monday, February 13, 2012

How To Make A Good Stock

I love to make soups.  There is nothing better than a homemade soup when the weather is cold or when the family is under the weather.  I always try to keep soup stock in the freezer for just those moments.

When you have beef or pork meat scraps, try the following:

Place your meat scraps in a large stock pot with 2 Tbsp oil. Sear your meat to give it that roasted flavor.  Add 12 cups of water, 2 Bay leaves, 1 Tbsp Thyme, 2 Tbsp salt, 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper, 3 washed carrots (unpeeled and cut into pieces), 1 bunch of celery (tops and leaves only), 3 potatoes (chunked), 1 pkg chopped Porccinni mushrooms, 1/2 cup red wine.

Bring to a boil and then simmer for two hours to reduce.  Strain broth to remove all solids.  Allow to cool and then pour into freezer safe container to store for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment