Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Friday, January 17, 2020

Pumpkin Pie -- 2 pies

Honestly, who doesn't love pumpkin pie?  It is hands down my favorite pie.  This recipe,  compliments of my grandma, is one that will not disappoint.  It makes two pies.

2 1/4 cups pumpkin (20 oz)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg                            1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice                            1/4 tsp ginger   
1/4 tsp cloves                              3 cups milk

I am not a good dough person or crust person.  So . . . I buy frozen pie crust.  This recipe will work perfectly in a frozen pie crust and just follow the instructions for a baked one crust pie.  Don't forget to poke holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork to prevent bubbling when you bake the pie.

Mix dry ingredients and add to the rest.  Pour into unbaked crust and bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees.  Lower to 400 degrees until done and knife comes out clean.

The recipe does not include a "done" time, but I usually bake my pumpkin pie for 40 - 50 minutes.  Set a timer for 40 minutes and check.  Add additional time as required.  I'm learning as I go that cooks from the 40's - 60's often didn't include cook/bake times.


No comments:

Post a Comment