Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Grandma's Seven Layer Salad - It's So Good!

Seven Layer Salad is my go-to dish when I have to take a dish to share.  I always get tons of compliments on this salad, and there is never anything left to take home.  And . . . it looks great in my Pampered Chef Trifle Bowl.

Kosher salt
8 oz Bow Tie Pasta
2 stalks Broccoli (cut into florets)
1/2 cup Miracle Whip
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
2 tsp dried parsley
Juice of one lime
Freshly ground pepper
2 avocados (diced)
2 cups of diced ham
8 oz (2 cups) shredded cheddar
1 small head romaine lettuce (sliced)
2 tomatoes (diced)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the pasta and cook until al dente.  Add the broccoli during the last four minutes of cooking.  Drain the pasta and broccoli and rinse under cold water.  Shake off the excess.  Remove the broccoli and pat dry.

Whisk the Miracle Whip, buttermilk, chives (reserve 1 Tbsp), parsley, half of the lime juice, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper to taste.

Toss the past and a few tablespoons of the dressing in a medium bowl.

Assemble the salad:
Toss the avocados with the remaining lime juice in a large glass serving bowl and season with salt.  Arrange in an even layer.
Top with layers of the ham, broccoli, pasta, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.
Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad and then sprinkle with the remaining 1 Tbsp of chives.

Cover and refrigerate salad and dressing before serving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment