Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thanksgivings Past

Growing up, I think my Thanksgiving holidays were like lots of others -- we had more than one family meal to fit in.  My mom's side of the family was rather large.  She came from a family of seven children.  My dad was an only child.  Dinners were a bit different.  We loved spending time with cousins, aunts and uncles with one family and we loved being the center of attention with the other.  It was a great mix!  My childhood holidays were great!  I hope my grandchildren will remember theirs just as fondly.

My Grandma Mohr had a huge group of people to cook for.  I can't begin to imagine how much food had to be prepared for all of us.  Plum Pudding was always the perfect finish to our holiday meal.  Yummy!  I need to learn how to make that.  My Grandma Kruse had a smaller group to cook for and always went all out!  Cinnamon Rolls would start the day and Sweet Potato Pie would end dinner.  My sister, Kim, would refuse to eat the pie because it wasn't pumpkin.  It really did taste the same.

I hope one day my kids and grandkids will look back and remember a favorite recipe from our Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment