Home - Text

My Grandma passed away at the age of 94. She was a wonderful cook and I was lucky enough to inherit her recipes. Many date back to the 1940s and 50s. Grandma prepared them in a charming country kitchen with no running water and most of her produce came from her garden, not from the grocery store. These are made-from-scratch recipes. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen and . . . I wish I had spent more time with her for so many other reasons.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Herb Mixture for Cooking

Grandma would use the following spice mixture tied in a cheesecloth to flavor meat, vegetables, and stews/soups.  Tied in a cheesecloth, it made the herb mixture easy to remove after cooking.

1/4 cup dried parsley
2 Tbsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp dried bay leaf
2 Tbsp dried rosemary

Combine parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary in a bowl.  Place in an airtight container.  Store in a cool, dark place away from heat sources.   Use within 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment